Getting prospects is great, but if you can’t convert them into leads, and then into clients, everyone loses.
Your prospect loses because they don’t get the benefits from working with you and you lose because you don’t get to make a big impact in that person’s life. Nor do you get their revenue.
From a growth standpoint, you want to do everything possible to work on your conversion rate. You’re paying to drive prospects no matter what. The more that slip through the cracks, the more expensive the process becomes. The higher your conversion rate, the lower your acquisition cost.
So let’s talk about what I did to increase the conversion rate by over 300% almost overnight and why it works so well.
Step 1: I created a quiz/evaluation to generate leads.
Quizzes and evaluations are great ways to capture leads for a few reasons:
- People like taking quizzes, so the conversion stats are among the highest of any lead magnet strategy.
- Because the quiz is interactive, people engage with it. When you give away an e-book or some other lead magnet, a high percentage aren’t going to open it or do anything with it.
- You can structure the quiz/evaluation to show people where their pain points are. It also gives you an opportunity to educate them on how you can alleviate those pain points. Quizzes/evaluations are a fantastic pre-sale tool.
For Rebooted Body I created a “Body & Life You Love” quiz with TypeForm. It’s 25 questions long, with half the questions hitting on the most common pain point our audience has. The remaining questions focus on the 2nd most common pain point.
When someone completes the quiz, they must enter their email address to view their score and the results explanation. They entered their name in the beginning, so I have that, too.
If you’re feeling like this is super technical, don’t worry about it right now. All of this stuff can be quickly taught—it’s the underlying principles that matter most.
Step 2: Insight, Education, and Invitations
The most important part of this is the results email. Remember, this email is designed to do two things:
- Educate the individual on their results and provide more context and clarity around the challenges they face.
- Invite them to schedule a strategy call with me or my team. This is as simple as providing them with a link to an event I’ve setup through Calendly. This allows people to get on my schedule without any input from me.
Typeform has shortcodes that allow you to insert data from the quiz into the results email. So I designed an email that gives the lead their score and then goes point by point back through the questions.
I show them what their answer was, confirm the correct answer, and then spend a few sentences providing additional context, insight, and education.
Yes, I do this for every single question of the 25. It’s a LONG email.
You might think that these long emails will never get read. We know for a fact they get read. When people are interested in something, and the content is good, they’ll read it. This is especially true if it pertains to them checking whether they were right or wrong about something.
If you notice, there’s also a prominent call-to-action at the beginning (and end) of the email. One of our main goals is to get people to schedule a free strategy call with us. Our close rate on these strategy calls is very high so we want to book as many of these as possible.
Before the prospect ever gets this email they have the option of reviewing their results within Typeform. This is done by passing the quiz form data to a separate form that’s designed to display information.
That’s a little bit more advanced but I wanted to mention it so you could understand the power of investing in an app like Typeform.
While this is the primary part of the funnel, it’s not the end of the funnel by any means…
Step 3: Convert!
Let’s take a look at what we’ve done leading up to this point:
- I’ve effectively collected and segmented new leads.
- I’ve sent them a results email that provides them with education and more context. This email shows them that I understand the challenge they face and how to solve it. Also, remember that the evaluation itself helps them confirm that the challenge affects them (which they know on some level, but we need to bring it to the surface).
- I’ve given the lead and opportunity to connect with me personally.
- I’ve put the lead on an ongoing education/sales email sequence for the program that fits them best.
- I’ve scheduled a free strategy call with a small portion of them.
Lots of people take us up on the free strategy call through Calendly. What’s great about this entire process is that by the time we talk to them, they’re pre-sold and just want to talk to someone for a bit before they sign up. It’s very effective.
Previous to this lead evaluation process, I wasn’t doing any phone sales. I was generating all sales through automated funnels, which is how most people in the digital marketing world prefer to do it.
After doing phone sales for a while now (in combination with automated funnels), I will tell you that not doing phone sales is a big mistake. Not only will you close people you wouldn’t have otherwise closed, but you’ll learn so much about your prospects and leads that you would never have discovered otherwise.
The phone sales process will teach you things you can use to enhance your automated funnels. It’s a critical component.
Let’s say that someone doesn’t schedule a call, though. And they don’t buy right after the quiz. What next?
Every single person who takes the quiz is still on the email list. They’re still going through an education/sales sequence. Best of all, they’re going through that automated funnel with a pre-sold mindset. It’s no surprise that we’ve seen an increase in conversions from our automated funnels since implementing the quiz.
If they join our academy at any part of this process, Convertkit will automatically remove them from the sales sequences, tag them as a client, and move them to a client-based email welcome sequence. This is the power of using email automation through an app like Convertkit rather than a basic email broadcast system like Mailchimp.
This strategy is far more effective than the traditional strategy of exchanging a free gift for an email address and then trying to put the person through an education/sales sequence.
The combination of all the factors I discussed in this article come together beautifully to create a funnel that converts multiple times greater than the standard “free gift” funnels.